Platting and Mapping

No items found.
Contact Information

Platting and Mapping FAQ


Hours: 8 am – 5 pm M - F. Closed on holidays.

Phone: (208) 529-1350 ext. 1328 or (208) 529-1359


Physical address: 547 N. Capital Ave., Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402


Recorder’s Office:

Address: the second floor of the Court House, room 204

605 N. Capital, Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402

Phone: 208-529-1350 X1350

What we do:

  • Process deeds and other legal documents and update property information for the County’s tax roll.
  • Update the County’s parcel map layer.


What we don’t do:

  • Determine property ownership.
  • Determine property boundaries.
  • Give legal advice.
  • Prepare or pre-approve documents (deeds, affidavits, etc.)

How do I find out who owns a parcel of land?

Names on the tax roll can be searched on the County’s Parcel Viewer (by searching the property and clicking on it), or by contacting our department. A request form will need to be filled out for requests of more than three parcels. Please contact our office for the request form.

Can I see a map of my property?

Yes.  Please visit the County’s Parcel Viewer. You can search a property by its parcel number, name, or situs address. For questions about Parcel Viewer, please contact our GIS Department.

There is incorrect name and/or address information on my assessment notice/tax roll. How can I have it corrected?

If you feel there is an error on your notice, please contact us. You may need to record additional documents or contact a title company or an attorney to correct the error.

How do I change my mailing address?

Please send us an email with your request.

How do I change, add, or remove the name(s) on the ownership of my property?

In general, a new deed must be prepared and recorded with the County Recorder’s Office. However, different situations may require additional documents. Please consult a title company or attorney for details; they can help prepare a deed or any other necessary documents for you.

My spouse passed away. What do I need to do to update the tax roll records?

A name can be removed from our tax roll if a copy of the death certificate is brought into our office. Please consult a title company or attorney for the document(s) to change the ownership of your property.

What information should appear on a recorded deed?

1.      Grantor(Seller):   current ownership, exactly as it was acquired.

2.      Grantee (Buyer): new ownership.

3.      Mailing address:   address of Grantee where the tax roll/assessment notice will be sent to.

4.      Legal Description: full and complete, as it was acquired.
Platted Lots: Lot, Block, Subdivision Name, County, and State
         Un-platted Lots: A metes and bounds description of the property

5.      Notary: valid notary of Grantor.

Please note that the legal description on an assessment notice is not a full and complete legal description and that all information needs to be legible.

If you have any questions about how to prepare a deed, please contact a title company or an attorney.

Where can I get a description of my property that shows the dimensions and boundaries?

If your property is a platted lot, you can get a copy of your subdivision plat from the County Recorder’s Office. If your property is not platted, you can obtain a copy of your deed of acquisition from the County Recorder’s Office. Our office can assist you in locating the deed. If you need assistance determining the exact location of your property boundaries, you will need to have a survey by a licensed land surveyor.

Where can I get a copy of a subdivision plat or a survey?

You can get a copy of your subdivision plat (each division) or a survey from the County Recorder's Office, or you can use our online search and purchase a copy.

Where do I get my property surveyed?

You will need to contact a licensed land surveyor. Local land surveyors can be found online.

How do I split, combine, or adjust my property boundaries? 

  1. Contact the appropriate City Planning and Zoning Department or Bonneville County Planning and Zoning Department to determine the procedure you will need to follow.
  2. Contact a licensed land surveyor. The surveyor will survey your property and prepare a new legal description.
  3. A new deed must be prepared and recorded with the new legal description for the parcel.

I had a survey done, and it was recorded. Do I still have to record a deed to adjust the property boundary to match the survey?

Yes. The recording of a survey does not change names, property boundaries, or Assessor’s tax parcel numbers in our system. A deed with the new legal description must be recorded to make such changes.

Can your office help me with an easement question?

The best place to contact is a title company. The Bonneville County Assessor’s office does not currently track or map easements.

Frequently Asked Questions

Pages Also Searched

No items found.