Appraisal of Property

No items found.
Contact Information

The Idaho State Tax Commission monitors all appraisal evaluations to ensure compliance with state law and all Appraisers in the state of Idaho are required to follow a continuing education program every two years to remain certified.

Real Property Appraisal:

Idaho law requires the Assessor’s office to reappraise property on a five year cycle, meaning each property will be physically reappraised at least once every five years to assure that it is as close to market value as possible. Each of the other four years of the cycle, the law requires that a market adjustment be applied to the property, based on the selling prices of similar properties, to keep the property value in line with market trends.

Owners of property in Bonneville County are mailed their annual assessment notices no later than 1stMonday in June of each year, which notifies the owner of the current year’s market value by category description for their property taxes due later in the year.

It is important that property owners review their assessment notices carefully. Contact our office if you have any questions. Market value reviews are heard by the Assessor’s office staff through the fourth Monday of June. The assessment notice provides information about further appeals procedures.

For property that has been missed and was not placed on the first assessment roll, they are placed on the subsequent or missed property rolls and those assessment notices are mailed on a different date than the 1st Monday in June. These assessment notices also provide information about further appeals procedures. The appraisal function of the Assessor’s office is to place value on taxable property, which represents typical sale and/or purchase prices of similar properties. This procedure is known as placing market value on property. All property is assessed as of January 1st each year using sales of property occurring between January 1st and December 31st of the previous year. If too few or no sales are available, the Assessor can use sales from the previous two years instead of one.

Valuation of Agricultural Land:

When property is accepted for the agricultural exemption, it is given one of the following classifications: dry cropland, irrigated cropland, dry grazing, or irrigated grazing. There are a number of different assessment rates that apply to the land according to its ability to produce crops or grazing grasses. The value is calculated by multiplying the acres qualified for the agricultural exemption by one of these rates, which are lower than the per acre rates for full market value. These rates are computed each year using variables such as location of land, crop yields and costs related to producing crops.

For more information contact the Real Property Department in the Assessor's office and ask to speak with a farm appraiser.

Manufactures Housing Appraisal:

Manufactured Homes are assessed and appealed the same as other residential housing. Whether real property or personal property, the assessor places value based on the reported prices paid for other comparable property in the county. Manufactured homes are sometimes treated as real property and other times treated as personal property. If you or a previous owner recorded a Statement of Intent to Declare the structure as real property, it is assessed as real property. If no Statement of Intent to Declare the structure as real property has been completed, recorded and filed, it is assessed as personal property.

To declare a manufactured home as real property you must also own or lease the land on which the manufactured home is located and you are responsible for completing each step of the following process:

1.  Remove the running gear and affix the manufactured home permanently to the land.
2.  Complete the Statement of Intent to Declare form. This form is available from the link provided here, the Bonneville County Assessor's Office, some manufactured home dealers, some financial institutions, and the State Tax Commission at 800-972-7660.
3.  Have an authorized official verify that the running gear has been removed and that the home is permanently affixed to the land. You can contact the Assessor’s office for help identifying an authorized official.
4.  Have the county assessor’s office verify that sales or use tax has been paid on your new manufactured home. If it has not been paid, you must pay the tax to the county assessor’s motor vehicle department who will remit it to the State Tax Commission. A used manufactured home is not subject to Idaho’s sales or use tax.
5.  Obtain the signature of any lien holder showing their consent to have your manufactured home declared as real property.
6.  Take a completed Statement of Intent to Declare form with all required signatures to the county recorder to be recorded.
7.  Give the Assessor’s office the following
       a.  The title, Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO). Or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin(MCCO) and
       b.  A copy of the recorded Statement of Intent to Declare form.

For more information on Manufactured housing see the link to the State Tax Commission guide and frequently asked questions under the Frequently Asked Question link listed below.

Occupancy Tax Appraisal:

Property that is subject to the Occupancy Tax is new construction of improvements on real property excluding additions to existing residential improvements and new manufactured housing, as defined in Idaho code 63-317.

Values are placed on the property assessed on the Occupancy Tax roll in the same manner as they are placed on Real Property and Manufactured Homes but because the improvement being appraised was not occupied as of January 1st the value is prorated by the number of days it is occupied.

Assessment notices are also mailed with the same information as the Real Property and Manufactured Homes Assessment Notices. The Occupancy Assessment Notices are mailed at the same time as the missed roll assessment notices with the same appeal date as the missed roll assessments.

For more information on Occupancy Tax see the link to the State Tax Commission's Frequently Asked Questions under the Frequently Asked Questions link listed below.

Personal Property Appraisal:

All personal property is reassessed each year by the Assessor’s office. The items included are construction equipment, business furniture and fixtures, transient personal property such as road building equipment, certain types of manufactured homes, and many other categories of personal property not easily located and listed.

Assessors in the state must send a personal property declaration to property owners to use in reporting their personal property for the year. See the Personal Property Declaration PDF document listed below. Since the annual date for assessment is on the first day of January, personal property declarations for reporting are sent out early in the year, with a March 15th deadline for the return.

Operating Properties Appraisal:

Operating Properties are assessed for the most part by the State Tax Commission. See the State Tax Commission publication for Operating Properties.

Forest Land Appraisal:

See the Idaho State Tax Commission publication for an explanation and frequently asked questions concerning the appraisal of Forest Land.

Personal Property Declaration-PDF form

Frequently Asked Questions

Pages Also Searched

No items found.